If you’re at high school, college or university, you’ll almost certainly need to write essays. More and more students are being asked to produce written assignments, even in physics and mathematics.
Writing an essay means more than finding and recording facts. It means thinking critically: analysing material and reaching a conclusion. It means showing that you understand the material you’ve been studying. Above all, it means presenting a coherent argument.
Learning to write essays also prepares us for life beyond college. In the real world, more and more of us need to be able to express ideas clearly, with good grammar and a flexible style. Essay writing gives us the skills to become more effective citizens.
And yet, all too often, students are not offered the skills and techniques to write effective essays.
How do you start? What kind of words should you use? Are you entitled to offer your own views on a subject?
How to Write an Essay will make life easier for you. It will help you produce an essay that your tutor will appreciate, and that will do you credit.
About the author
- Why write essays?
- Your reasons for writing
- What your tutor is looking for
- The real reason for writing a good essay
- What is an essay?
- The three defining features of an essay
- Joining the academic conversation
- Get going!
- Procrastination: the art of putting it off
- Getting to grips with writing
- Getting to grips with study
- Essay writing in three stages: plan; draft; edit
- Answering the question
- Understanding the question
- Creating a thesis statement
- Constructing an outline
- Creating a frame of reference
- Supporting your thesis statement: building a pyramid
- From head to page: ten tips for drafting more easily
- Illustrating, citing and quoting (and avoiding plagiarism)
- Grabbing the reader’s attention: the introduction
- Ending well: writing the conclusion
- Why edit?
- Bringing paragraphs under control
- Constructing straightforward sentences
- Using words well
- Developing your style
- Dealing with feedback
- Presenting your essay well
- Making the most of feedback
- Appendix: where to go from here
Websites and links
Конечно, чтобы придать своему плану правдоподобность, Танкадо использовал тайный адрес… тайный ровно в той мере, чтобы никто не заподозрил обмана. Он сам был своим партнером. Никакой Северной Дакоты нет и в помине. Энсей Танкадо - единственный исполнитель в этом шоу.